Sunday, December 5, 2010

Wintertime, dancing and volleyball

I went to a play and a rock concert Saturday night! Saturday afternoon I headed up to Itaewon, had a hamburger, and sat down for an evening of theatre. The play was called Wintertime, and it was alternately funny, groan-worthy, and insightful.

The script itself had its holes, and the acting was uneven, as you'd expect in the small expat theatre community, but the experience was fantastic. After being deprived of English theatre for a year, just sitting in a chair as the lights dimmed was exciting.

The play was held at a bar (Roofers) in Itaewon, so afterward they had a rock concert! Some of the actors and a bunch of others were in a band which absolutely rocked the house. They had a keyboards, a guitar, and THREE saxophones! We were on the dance floor by the second song, and we danced until they stopped playing a few hours later.

Overall, it was one heck of an evening - dinner, theatre, drinks and dancing, all wrapped up in one cozy bar in a corner of Seoul.

Saturday night wasn't the only time I'd be in Itaewon this weekend - I had a meeting and dinner there today as well, and am starting to feel like I live there even though it's almost an hour away.

Before I went into Seoul (an hour north) today, I played volleyball again in Suwon (an hour south). I like this new group I'm playing with -- most are Russians working in Korea, but they manage in English and there's a team of Americans that I have been playing with. As I've mentioned before, I've played a higher level of ball, but it's decent, and as long as I get some sets to crush I'm happy.

Also, we're having a tournament in a couple weeks! It will be the same teams we have been playing with, but for longer and in a more organized and competitive fashion. It's something to be excited about on the weekend before Christmas, for sure.

Well, those are my weekend updates. Three weeks until Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun Steve, the rock concert sounds like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete