Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This morning, and the quest for a North American breakfast

This morning was not like most mornings; rather, this is how I want all of my mornings to go.

I started it about two hours earlier than normal, which is to say 10:30 am. In what was for me a feat of mind over body, and for most normal people would have been a sleep-in, I actually got out of my apartment at around 11 am. Destination: the Canon store, which I was told was in "ee-san" near an E-Mart (like Walmart, but pronounced "e-mart-uh").

After I arrived in 비산 (Bisan - the cab driver understood what I was trying to say) and took my friend's camera to get fixed at the Canon store, I realized that I still had a few hours before work started. Should I go back to my place to waste the time on my computer, I wondered? Fortunately I decided against that, and wandered around this new neighbourhood.

My breakfast! Crummy diner food never tasted so good!
One of the things I found--to my absolute delight--was breakfast. To explain this properly needs some background information. Korea doesn't really have much options for breakfast food. As previously noted, I can get a Belgian waffle from the coffeeshop downstairs; alternatively I can have cereal or grab some kimbap or bibimbap, which I prefer to save until lunch. According to my more veteran friends, a decent "American style" breakfast is difficult to find.

This is why finding such a breakfast was a highlight of my morning. Strolling down the other side of the wide boulevard, I spied a small restaurant, "American Plate". Worth a look. And their menu, though small, was distinctly a breakfast menu. I ordered the Bagel plate with orange juice and texted my friend Jay: "Found a US-style brekkie place? Waiting to find out how Korea'll dash my hopes."

The breakfast was glorious in its mediocrity. The bacon was soggy, the sausage slightly undercooked, and the bagel nowhere near one of Siegel's (though the fries were McCain's special). In short, it was all I could ask for and more. I loved it.

The river and path along the bank.
After such a day-maker, I wandered the small river that divides Anyang for a while, enjoying the spring air and the cherry blossoms. I found a bike store, whose bikes were reasonably priced, though the cheapest one cost more than I ever remember paying for a bicycle.

I also got on a bus that I thought was going straight to my work. Not so, as it turned a corner, leaving me frantically searching for an escape route. The usual red stop button had been somehow removed, so I was grateful when the bus stopped near my subway station and let me out. But even this detour had a silver lining--I found a bookstore, albeit one whose most advanced English book was a Grade 3 reader. (I shall catch up on my Clifford!) I also found a nice, alternate route to walk to school.

I learned at work that Erin's camera was fixed today, so I will be going to pick it up tomorrow morning. Seems like a good time for another adventure, n'est-ce pas?

6 comments:

  1. If you wear a bright red jacket while you tour around, you might actually be mistaken for Clifford!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your Clifford comments made me laugh. :)
    xoxo mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Steve,
    That's very cool that you found some American Food and it sounds like your enjoying yourself.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds awesome! Also, your photo of the river with stones triggered some weird recognition- I feel like I've walked around there. I think I may have possibly lived in the area for a bit when I came back to Korea to visit. There isn't a large sports complex in the area, is there? With 10-pin bowling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the food pictures Stephen. There is no doubt that we're related!

    ReplyDelete