Monday, August 16, 2010

A poem I wrote in Malaysia

Dedicated (and sent on a postcard) to my parents.



Why is it only here, on the distant
side of the planet, that I understand
what I had? They all seemed less important,
in the grand scheme of time: the family crammed
in the Red Rocket Prairie Convoy, or
the Father's Day co-camping trips, or just
Dad coming with me to Blackcomb over-
night. Just a part of growing up, I must
have thought.

This week, in every family
I see our own: in the glance a mom throws
me as young ones race off, in peacefully
reading siblings, in the woman who goes
home today to see her kin.

I know, too:
It's not what I had, but what I still do.

3 comments:

  1. Steve,
    I think Uncle Brad and Auntie Sue will like the poem, I think it's has a good ring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem Stephen! Nothing like experiencing another part of the world to know that we are all different, and yet all connected!

    I picked up your post card from Malaysia just yesterday from the mailbox and thought I'd tell you how wonderful it was to hear from you! I think of you often on your "grand adventure" on the other side of the planet and know that you are having a profound experience. I know it was a bit of a risk with a bumpy start, but I'm sure that made it all the more precious!

    Hope your new job is an exciting challenge for you!

    Love lots....Auntie Karen xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Auntie Karen! I'm so glad the post card made it, as I posted it in a rather sketchy Malaysian mailbox. If you check back here, I'll keep you updated on my grand adventure.

    A quote from the song I'm listening to strikes me as apt:
    "I am part of a large family
    And it's enough for me."
    - Great Lake Swimmers

    ReplyDelete