Monday, August 9, 2010

The man on top of the world (repost with picture)


I wrote a poem in May about this piece of art in Central park. You can read it again behind the jump.

The Man on Top of the World

In my park there is a globe with many
Clocks, all facing different ways and set to
Different times.

Kiev, Melbourne, Albany.

Perched atop and framed by the streetlight through
Drizzling rain there is a man with one clock.
It eclipses his face; he seems to peer
Through as though vainly trying to take stock
Of his own corner of existence. Here
And now he sees the world, on local time.

Seoul.

I drink in the stillness of the night,
Revel in the soft rain and let my mind
Wonder if the man atop the world might
Sometimes wish to change his time.

Hong Kong, Rome,
Portland.

I smile: a reminder of home.

1 comment: