Sunday, August 29, 2010

My new neighbourhood

As many of you know, I accepted a new job as the Northeast Asia Coordinator for the International Debate Education Association. I'm so excited about this opportunity - I will be travelling around NE Asia promoting, organizing, and training people in debate!

Although I do love my teaching job, I'm pumped at the prospect of more challenge and a really dynamic workload. I mentioned in another blog post that I went to a debate camp/tournament to meet the debate community, and I was drawn in at once. So although I know it will be at times draining and frustrating, I am confident it will be just as rewarding. I will keep you, my readers, (all five of you!) updated on my travels and challenges.

The new job also entails a move to a new part of Seoul. (In the map to the left, I currently live at the south marker, in Anyang, and I am moving to the east marker, in Gangdong.)

I had the opportunity to walk around the new neighbourhood with my new colleague Kate, and took the picture of my new building to the right. The new neighbourhood is a bit more spread out than the old one, but seems to offer similar amenities. There apparently isn't an expat bar, but there is a restaurant offering a $10 meat buffet! It's a trade I may be comfortable with.

One of the coolest things about my new neighbourhood is Olympic Park, which is just across the street from my work. I walked around the park in the rain and took a bunch of photos, which I will put up in another post.

Finally, there has been some confusion regarding when I'll be moving, and since this was dependent on when my replacement would arrive in Korea, I didn't know until recently. It now seems that Chris - the fellow replacing me - will be here around the end of September, unfortunately later than I had hoped. Knowing this, I will be moving in late September or early October. I'll be sure to let you know my impressions when I move!

1 comment: