Friday, March 12, 2010

Urban studies thought of the day

From the American Conservative, of all places:
For the 101st time: sprawl — an umbrella term for the pattern of development seen virtually everywhere in the United States — is not caused by the free market. It is, rather, mandated by a vast and seemingly intractable network of government regulations, from zoning laws and building codes to street design regulations.

One of the first things I noticed from my hike's vantage point was the lack of urban sprawl here in Korea. The city has a population of 600,000 but is less than half the geographic size of my hometown Nanaimo (population 80,000)! Instead, the population is concentrated into the (monotonous, ugly and) ubiquitous numbered apartment buildings. Obviously, this is a function of the two countries' respective sizes, but it's important to remember that the result is not only a function of geography but of government policy.

Now, I don't think either system is perfect. I can't complain about having a backyard and cul-de-sac to play in while growing up, but higher density is generally more friendly to the environment. So while I don't think I'd import Korean apartment design, I think we could learn something from the urban planning here.

Anyang; apartment buildings nestled between mountains.

1 comment:

  1. One of the things I really love about Canada is the fact that you can have backyards, parks, etc. One of the things I really disliked about Korea (and this may have changed since I lived there) was the lack of green space. I had a playground outside my apartment building, but there was no grass, no green- only sand and cement or concrete to play on. I hugely appreciate being able to have more grass, more open space, and less cramming. I'm also not sure how environmentally friendly Korea is generally, but they do have a fantastic recycling program... Also, interesting information tidbit: cities with higher densities tend to have a higher incidence of mental illness.

    In any case, I feel that city layouts in Korea are largely due to the size of the country. There just wouldn't be enough space for everyone to have a house. I don't know if you've noticed this, though, but there are quite a few golf practice areas within the city that just eat up space. I found those really odd.

    ReplyDelete