Monday, March 22, 2010

Lists of the day

Things that are relatively less expensive in Korea than in Canada:

Korean food.

Alcohol. There are bottles of mokli (it's a type of rice wine, not sure I'm transliterating it correctly) at the convenience store for about $1 a bottle. Four of these is a good route to a bad morning. Beer is also fairly cheap, but it's really cheap beer.

Tailoring. This is something I had never thought to do in Canada (and so don't really know the price of, but assume it's more expensive). I have now had 4 items of clothing tailored in Korea, at the total cost of 18,000 won (around $16). I got the elegant and expansive dress shirt that was a Christmas gift taken in, as well as the rather large sweater given many Christmases ago from Auntie Liz and Uncle Brian. I'm happy to be able to wear these as something other than bedclothes!

Taxis. They start at 2300 won ($2) but only go up once the fare would have reached that - so getting a cab to work or shopping is always 2300 won. Getting a cab back from Seoul is more expensive - can reach 40000 won - but that's also a 30 min drive.


Things that are relatively more expensive in Korea than in Canada:

Canadian food.

Vegetables. See previous post on their availability. They're also more expensive - or at least, more expensive compared to other things here.


Apart from these things, most of the things I've bought are about the same price.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Taxis! I love the cabs there. Just don't take them at rush hour :P They sometimes literally crawl along with the rest of traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your expansive shirt now fits. Tailoring is fairly expensive in Canada. To hem a pair of pants cost me $20.
    Mom xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard you can get tailored suits for very cheap. I think one of your quests should be to get the most outrageous/amazing suit possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed, Aaron! Once I get a few paycheques under my belt (metaphorically - I actually have a bank account here) I will do this and post pictures.

    ReplyDelete