Tuesday, March 30, 2010

발리볼: Bal-li-bol part 1

Exciting news: I made first contact with a volleyball league today. After numerous searches on the internet, and aided by the help of my Korean-speaking friends, I managed to find out that there is a league in town that plays from 8 - 10 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

This is not in Korea, unfortunately. Me smacking a ball down in Vancouver.
Unfortunately, this is during my work day. But oh well - I figured meeting them would be a good step forward; maybe they would know other volleyball leagues! So today, just before 10 I went to the middle school where the league is.

It was not an unqualified success, but it was nice. There were only about 8 people playing (plus a couple of kids who served as translators... the kids generally know more English than the adults), and the level of play was recreational rather than competitive. But it's volleyball, and assuming I can get off work a bit early on Thursday, I'm going to join them for an hour in playing. Hopefully I can get a better translator to help me ask if they know of any more competitive, weekend leagues!

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why you're called Serious Steve - I think Curious Steve would be a better handle! Good luck with finding some fun...
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had wondered about 'Serious' Steve. I agree with Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny uncle Brad. Hope you can find some other fun activities too. To add on to Uncle Brad, its good being curious in a place that you don't know that well yet. I did that in China.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The moniker "Serious" Steve goes back beyond this blog. I wrote for another blog at UBC that was a satirical take on the student society elections, and I was originally the serious commentator, so I got called Serious Steve. I ended up changing my style to satirical writing, but the name stuck. So there you go!

    ReplyDelete