Sunday, January 16, 2011

Weekend

There is a silence about mornings and hangovers which I don't experience very much. I did briefly this Saturday morning, and it seemed like the world and my brain both paused. This was after the three-alarm fire without the fire woke me up at 8am with Friday's soju still somewhere in my system, but before I dragged myself out the door and on the hour-long bus ride to volleyball at 11. The eerie calm of the morning stands in stark contrast to the hustle of my weekend.

The weekend was full of volleyball and partying, really. I mentioned partying Friday night and playing ball on Saturday; on Saturday night and Sunday I repeated the pattern. Saturday night was dancing in Hongdae, which is far enough away that you kind of have to stay out all night. Fortunately I paced myself on the drinking and kept hydrated, so it was only moderately difficult to put myself on the subway for another day of volleyball. This time, I played at the Osan US Air Force base with some military folk I play with in Suwon (see picture).

And, after a fun and busy weekend I'm still surprised I survived, it's back to the silence. Surrounded by my drying clothes and still apartment, my brain has again dimmed its clamor. I suppose that means it's bed time - have to get ready for another week ahead!

3 comments:

  1. I am having my own type of quiet this morning. Just Tasha and I hanging out in the garage while people view the house. Not the ideal solution but since it is hard for her to get in and out of the car the best one for now. She is disquieted by the intrusion into her space but is being very good and just looking suspiciously at the doors! Love mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Steve and hope things work out!
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. While Mom was hanging out in the garage with Tasha, I was playing in a hockey tournament in Victoria - so I kinda know what the drinking and playing sports all wekend is all about... except us old timers play at 8 and 9AM, drink a bunch of beer all day and are tucked into our hotel beds by 10:30PM. No all night dancing, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete