Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Korean pop-quiz


Since I learned to (haltingly) read Hangul characters, one of my favourite things to do is spot English words disguised as Korean. They're everywhere: Korean is almost as accepting a language as English itself, so newer additions to Korean culture as well as many product names are just transliterated English words.

Now you can play the game too with my quiz! A warmup: what does the Korean word on the left say? (I'll give you a hint: the left syllable is "pep" and the right is "si").

Here's how to play.

1. (The hard version): open these images in a new window (ctrl-click) or print them out as references. They will tell you what the syllables mean.



1. The easy version: I have put a roman transliteration of the Hangul below each picture, in the colour of the background. If you select the text with your mouse, you will be able to read it.

2. Once you know how to pronounce it, say it faster and faster until you get the English word.

3. Check your answers at the bottom of the post!

The Quiz:

1: We'll start easy. These are from the whiteboard at my apartment.
Roman ->bo-deu ma-ka<-

2. The Korean part of the sign at a local eating establishment.

Roman ->pi-ja seu-kul (i = ee, u = long u)<-

3. The name of the Mexican restaurant where I ate tonight.

Roman ->tom te-il-leo (eo = short u)<-

4. A sign at the subway stop. The first two characters is a city name.

Roman ->seo-ul yu-seu ho-seu-tel<-

5. A bar name on the strip.

Roman ->ro-de-o<-

6. On the menu of the Mexican place (but not a particularly Mexican dish).

Roman ->chi-kin meo-swi-rum seu-pa-ge-ti<-

7. Last but certainly not least, from the building next to my apartment.

Roman ->ta-i ma-sa-ji<-



Had fun? Scroll down to see the answers:

































1. Board marker

2.

3. Tom Taylor

4.

5. Rodeo

6.

7. Thai "Massagee"

2 comments:

  1. I got Tom in #3 before I gave up and looked at the answers. It isn't easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hard Steve, I even had problems reading Chinese as well.

    ReplyDelete