Sunday, October 31, 2010

Memories 3: Good Morning

[Dedicated to Grandma Del and Grandpa Brian.]

A slow slide into wakefulness, my eyes
opening to the bright Gabriola
morning, stretching on the floor as I rise
and shine. Good morning, good morning, Grandma
quietly sings from the window. And how
are you this morning? I smile and raise my
head, noticing my cousins who just now
are stirring from their sleep. I breathe a sigh
of contentment.

Grandpa's in the kitchen
with a bowl of cereal, smiling and
giving me a hello on my way in,
in to orange juice and butterhorns, a grand
way to start the day, with the family
all around and a smile: Here, I'm happy.

2 comments:

  1. Nice poem Steve,
    Very true and always great memories, and a nice way to sum it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, thank you for the memories. You are truly a great kid. You have brought a lot of joy into our lives. Love you Gabmac

    ReplyDelete