Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Word of the Week

For the last month or so I have been saving up priceless words that my kids say or write on my white board (in the office, not the classroom) as the "Word of the Week". Here's a selection.

The inaugural WOTW: tranch. Original use: a grade 2 writing prompt about the amusement park, in the sentence "Then we bought ice cream and tranch." Meaning: I have no clue.

The next one is pure Konglish. I asked my grade 3 debate class which they liked better, pizza or ramen, and why. The first couple kids answer "I like pizza better because it is cheesy," and things like this. I get to one student: "I like remon better because you can make remonade."

This week's WOTW: shelf-confidence. Original use: typo. New definition: The kind of confidence that you get from a shelf. You know, from a bottle on the shelf.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe 'shelf-confidence' sould be a verb! It's something you do when you have a momentary sense of self doubt!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. sup steve, i just found your blog! tranch sounds like the street term for some kind of impure drug.
    here's a good one from my friend in taiwan:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3938261&id=511134532 i wonder if you can see it

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious, Karl. Oh, kids who misspell 'Coke'.

    ReplyDelete